Skip to main content

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)

Current Students

How to apply for financial aid for 2017-2018 returning students. 

Undergraduate students seeking Rensselaer need-based aid (including federal aid programs) or graduate students seeking federal aid programs must complete the 2017- 2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The priority filing deadline is April 1, 2017 to receive your award notice before July 1, 2017. It is absolutely critical that you read this document and follow instructions carefully to prevent delays in the determination of your financial aid eligibility. Share this with your parent(s) as appropriate.

Beginning with the 2017-18 year, the FAFSA will require you to use income from two years ago to complete the form, rather than using last year’s income. This means that you will use 2015 income on the 2017-18 FAFSA, which is the same income figures you would have reported on your 2016-17 FAFSA. People who filed taxes in 2015 will be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the FAFSA. Using the DRT tool ensures that the figures you report on the FAFSA are accurate and mean that you will not be asked to submit an IRS tax return transcript to the Office of Financial Aid at a later time.

  • File electronically at  Participate in the IRS data retrieval process when you complete your FAFSA if at all possible.
  • Have your FSA ID username and password available. An individual can retrieve or sign up for a FSA ID at
  • Rensselaer's Federal School Code is 002803 for the Troy campus and 01127 for the Hartford campus. Be sure to use the correct Federal Code!
  • Make sure your Social Security Number and date of birth are accurate. Don’t use your Rensselaer ID number on the FAFSA.
  • Meet the April 1, 2017 priority filing deadline date so you receive your aid awards before July 1, 2017.
  • If you are an undergraduate student seeking summer aid, an additional special form, the Undergraduate Summer 2017 Financial Aid Application, is required. Note that this form is NOT required if you are taking summer classes as part of the Summer Arch Program. No separate application is required for that program.
  • Graduate students seeking federal aid (i.e.Federal Direct, Graduate PLUS) must also complete the RPI Graduate Student Aid Application.
  • If you are a New York State resident seeking NY Scholarships or TAP (Tuition Assistance Program), you must file the FAFSA and you will also need to complete a new TAP application. If you have never applied for TAP, you can do so at the same time you file your FAFSA application. The school code for the TAP application for undergraduate students is 0635. There is no TAP for graduate students. Further information may be found at
  • You can notify us of any unusual family circumstances by completing our 2017-2018 Changed Family Circumstance Report.  
  • After you have filed your FAFSA, you will receive an email from the federal processor notifying you that your Student Aid Report (SAR) is ready to view. Be sure to review your (SAR) and correct any errors you find. Also check your status on Rensselaer’s Student Information System (SIS) to see if we require additional information from you. The aid process can be confusing, but if you follow the instructions carefully, you’ll do fine. If you have questions, contact us. We’ll do our best to get you the answers you need or put you in touch with the agencies that may help.