Apply for Aid

Text Block

Types of Aid

Merit Scholarships Need-based Funding

When you apply to Rensselaer, you will automatically be considered for merit-based scholarships, which include endowed scholarship sources. There are no other forms to complete. RPI merit scholarships are not available to international students who are not citizens of Canada.

If you want to be considered for need-based funding, you will need to complete both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA) and College Board's College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile. In most cases, the data on these documents should match. Whenever possible, we recommend completing them at the same time. Given the delay to the FAFSA for the 2024-25 academic year, we understand that this may not be possible. We would then encourage families to file each form individually at their earliest convenience.

CSS Profile College Code: 2757
FAFSA College Code for Troy Campus: 002803

College Code for Hartford Campus: E001127

Also, the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), requiring separate application, helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at Rensselaer.  
New York State TAP College Code: 0635


Who Should Apply

  • New students who are U.S. citizens, or residents of the U.S. who would qualify for U.S. federal student aid programs
  • New students from Canada
  • Transfer students who are U.S. Citizens, federal aid "eligible non-citizens," or from Canada
Types of Aid
  • Merit scholarships from Rensselaer, including endowed scholarship sources (requires Admission Application [only])
    • Rensselaer Leadership Award

      Given in recognition of an outstanding record of academic and personal achievements, a strong commitment to excellence, and illustration of intellectual curiosity. Award amounts vary.

    • Rensselaer Medal Award

      Awarded to promising secondary school juniors who have distinguished themselves in mathematics and science. Responsibility for selecting the Medalist belongs to the faculty and staff within the participating secondary school. The award is $40,000 per academic year.

  • Need-based grants from Rensselaer (requires Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and College Board's College Scholarship Service (CSS) applications)
  • Federal student aid programs  (requires Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and College Board's College Scholarship Service (CSS) applications)
    • Federal Direct Subsidized & Unsubsidized (Student) Loans
    • Federal PELL Grant
    • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG / SEOG)
  • Non-federal educational loans
Do I apply for aid every year?

Undergraduate students seeking Rensselaer need-based aid (including federal aid programs) or graduate students seeking federal aid programs must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year the aid is sought.



My parents are separated/divorced. What do I report on my application?

You are required to report the income of the parent (and stepparent if your parent is remarried) who provided the most financial support during the past 12 months. In addition, you need to report all asset information for this same parent(s). This parent is considered the Contributor on your FAFSA and CSS Profile forms.

What happens if my family's financial situation changes after I file my form?

If there is a change in your family’s financial situation after you complete and submit your FAFSA/CSS Profile, call or write directly to Rensselaer's Office of Financial Aid.

If I am a Rensselaer scholarship award recipient and I subsequently receive outside awards, will you reduce my Rensselaer scholarship assistance?

Not usually. Students are allowed to keep any outside awards in addition to their Rensselaer scholarship awards, as long as the total does not exceed our cost of attendance. Need-based awards are subject to change in the following order: loans, federal work-study, and finally, grants.

Where can I find additional Financial Aid information?

The following non-Rensselaer links are provided as a service to students and prospective students.


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) –
College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile –

Free web scholarship searches:

General federal aid information:

FinAid – The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid –
NASFAA – National Association of Student Financial Aid –
HESC – NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (for NY residents) –