All non-matriculated applications must be approved at the department level, and must be received no later than two weeks prior to the start of the semester. Late applications will not be accepted.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute welcomes applications from non-degree seeking students. Admission as a non-matriculated student is based on the applicant’s related academic and professional qualifications.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Graduate Application for Non-Matriculated Study
- Official copy of their bachelor’s (or highest degree) transcript
- $75 nonrefundable application fee
- The minimum requirement for admission to a graduate course is the completion of and the award of a four-year U.S. bachelor's degree or the U.S. equivalent. Please note that only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for non-degree study.
- Non-matriculated students are required to attend orientation administered by the Office of Graduate Education.
- Non-matriculated students are admitted on a course-by-course basis as space allows.
- Non-matriculated students wishing to apply for degree status must submit a complete graduate application. The non-refundable application fee is waived for non-matriculated students.
- The number of credit hours an individual may take toward a degree as a non-matriculated student varies from department to department; the university-wide maximum is 12 credit hours. Each department will determine which courses taken as a non-matriculated student, if any, will count toward an eventual Rensselaer degree.