Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is a signatory to the Council on Graduate Studies Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants. If you are awarded funding from Rensselaer, you will need to make your enrollment decision by the deadline on your award letter.
Students receiving assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships must also sign and return their award letters in order to receive funding.
Not attending Rensselaer? Fill out the form for Request Withdrawal for Admitted Graduate Students.
- Complete the Confirmation Form for Admitted Students to confirm your intent to enroll in graduate study at Rensselaer. *You are not required to wait until the deadline on your award letter.
- Check that your Graduate Enrollment Checklist in complete so we can confirm your enrollment.
- Transfer students must also complete and submit the International Student Transfer Form. Your international student advisor must fill out a section of the form as well.
- Ensure you meet the requirements for the I-20 or DS-2019.
Along with the offer of admission, you will receive a Graduate Enrollment Checklist which lists any required conditions to complete the admissions process. All international students must provide the following documents in order to receive their Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) from Rensselaer:
- Graduate Student Confirmation Form
- Financial documents (see below for acceptable documentation)
- Sponsor letter (if not self-funded)
- Copy of passport identification page(s)
US government regulations require that in order to qualify for non-immigrant student status, you must prove the availability of sufficient funding to meet your expenses. We require that Master’s students demonstrate funding for at least one year and that Ph.D. students demonstrate funding for at least two years. Students should have a reasonable expectation that the same level of support will be available in subsequent years, and should therefore consider how they will fund their studies for the entire length of their program.
Expenses- estimates $70,719
- Tuition: $51,000
- Fees and Insurance: $2,757
- Estimated Living Expenses: $13,970
- Books and Supplies: $2,992
Dependents (if applicable)
- First dependent: $8,820
- Each additional dependent: $4,410
To demonstrate each source of your financial support, follow the instructions below. Provide official translation of documents not originally in English. Supporting financial documents must be:
- in English,
- original documentation (no copies, faxes or scans),
- dated within the last three months, and
- clearly state the name of the account holder and the amount of funding available in U.S. dollar equivalent. If you are unable to obtain a statement or bank letter with a US dollar value, we will convert the value upon review.
Real estate, stock, securities statements, or statements concerning the financial worth of businesses are not acceptable, because of the fluctuation in their value and the possible limitation on conversion to cash.
Salary statements, salary deposit notices, or monthly/quarterly/semi-annual bank statements are not acceptable since we are unable to determine the exact amount of money that is available for your educational expenses. We will not accept life insurance policies or retirement accounts as proof of funding.
Notarized statements are not required.
Failure to provide the information or supporting documentation as required by the Graduate Admissions Office will result in a delay in processing your I-20 or DS-2019, and in some cases we will not be able to issue the I-20 or DS-2019 altogether.
|Source of Funds||Documentation Required|
Copy of the signed award letter (sample)
An original letter from the agency awarding the scholarship, addressed to Rensselaer. The letter must clearly state your name, indicate the exact amount awarded, and specify the duration of the award, (sample)
An original bank statement or letter on official bank letterhead issued within the last three months. The document must clearly state your name, the current available balance, the type of currency, and must be signed by a bank officer. (sample of Chinese bank statement – personal )
An original bank statement or letter on official bank letterhead issued within the last three months. The document must clearly state the name of the account holder, the amount of available funds, the type of currency, and must be signed by a bank officer. (sample of Indian bank statement - sponsored)
An original support letter from your sponsor indicating the sponsor's willingness to fully support all of your tuition and living expenses for the duration of your program. The letter must be signed and dated by the sponsor. (sample)